Tired of the same boring sandwiches? Ever want something healthy that’s also tasty and satisfying? I came up with these roll-ups one day after attending a party where the hostess served catered roll-ups. They contained all sorts of ingredients that I could not eat due to digestive issues, and they were too messy to pull apart and take out the stuff I wouldn’t eat. Going to a sandwich shop wasn’t frugal because I get my sandwiches mostly plain, so I’m essentially paying for things I don’t eat.
So through trial and error, I took some ideas I already had, and foods I already loved, and put them together to make something fresh and unexpected. These are pretty tasty and full of nutrients.
2 oz. Deli Turkey breast
1 Tortilla/Wrap – We love Joseph’s Flax, Pat Bran & Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas*
Lettuce (I used shredded in this recipe)
1/4 oz Shredded Mozzarella cheese
Low-fat Zesty Italian Salad Dressing
- Lay out your tortilla flat on a dish.
- Layer your turkey slices that they cover most of the surface area. If the turkey is thickly cut and doesn’t cover enough space on the tortilla, cut the turkey slice into pieces and space them around the tortilla so that it get into as many bites as possible. I’m big on layering flavors so that you get a bit of something in each bite.
- Sprinkle your cheese over the turkey.
- Now add your layer of lettuce. We like to use shredded lettuce because it helps keep it well-distributed, because large pieces can get pulled out when you bite into. (Who’d have thought to use math when making a sandwich?)
- Add chopped Red and Cubanelle Peppers, cut into thinner, longer pieces, and arrange them as shown, to, once again, get the layer of flavors in each bite.
- Try out different vegetable that you like to eat. Here, we’ve added a layer of spinach.
- Drizzle the Salad Dressing. Remember that you will be rolling this up, so you want to distribute the dressing evenly. If you plan to roll it from side to side, drizzle the Salad Dressing from top to bottom. If you plan to roll it from the bottom up, pour the dressing back and forth.
- Roll tightly enough to keep it together.
- Secure with two toothpicks.
Ta-Da! This tasty has competing flavors and textures that both stimulates your taste buds and is a satisfying meal. Joseph’s brand tortillas are also high in fiber, and low in fat, carbs and calories. These are easy, filling, satisfying, and can fit any dietary plan.
If you have kids, involve them in making their own roll-ups. High-fiber tortillas like these are a great healthy alternative to white bread.