I am forever checking my permissions on Facebook because they tend to change things without notice or training. One thing that irks me most is that presence of a MAP. We are encouraged to share every dang place we go in the entire freaking world to the entire freaking world. Well, the entire freaking lot of friends who you allow on Facebook.
I searched and searched and found no complete answers to getting it all off my page –
A. The places in which I stupidly checked in because I had forgotten to X out my location when I posted from a different area.
B. Showing the damn map at all.
And here we go: How to Remove the Map from Timeline on Facebook
1. First, you need to look at the map. You’ll see little pinpoints of places at which you’ve allegedly “checked in” while on FB.
This particular entry is wrong for so many reasons, two of them being that I haven’t been to that mall in about six years, and that the name of the town is spelled incorrectly. I don’t know what else to do about that one, because it doesn’t link to any event, but I’ll show you a workaround later.
2. You will need to open each item, which will connect you to the post or the photo connected with the “Event.”
On each of these listings, deselect any references to check-ins or locations. It might be difficult to see where the location was allowed to be posted (check your default privacy settings to see if Location Services are turned on somewhere). The problem with FB is that there is no one place to do it all; you can do things from five different directions and it’s a poor customer experience.
3. Once you’ve eliminated all of the separate entries, you can get to work on getting that damn map off your page for good. Some people say that it can’t be done. But I think my method works.
Go to your timeline. Look at the area below your Name and then a little to the right. You might see something that looks like this:
Now, see that little arrow at the end of the row? It might be pointing up or down, depending on how many Boxes you have showing. Once you click it, and hover over a single box, suddenly the box has a little Pencil in the upper right hand corner of each:
4. Put your cursor over the Pencil, click, and hold your finger down on the mouse. You will get the following choices:
– SWAP FAVORITES WITH: (and it will list all of the boxes eligible to be moved), or
– REMOVE FROM FAVORITES.
5. If you want that Map to go away (which also takes along any anomalous “check-ins” that come from nowhere and therefore you cannot deselect), choose “Remove from Favorites” and click and let go.
It’s gone!!! Now don’t worry about those empty boxes (if you deselect from showing likes, interests, etc. that will give you empties).
Do you see that upside-down arrow? Click it, and the second row of empty boxes will go away. Refresh the page, and any empty boxes to right will also disappear. So this is what it will look like now:
The map is gone! You can repeat this for any of the other boxes that give you a choice.
NOTE: Owners of Facebook should provide choices for the perfect fit because it serves all populations. And such, it should be clear to all users that we have choices, and how to use them. I hope that this has been helpful to you. If so, please share your thoughts in the comments below, and share with your friends if they have the same problem.
I also want to hear if this did NOT work for you, because I don’t want to lead others astray. That’s why knowing it has worked for some people will help validate my suggestions.